Thursday, September 2, 2010

Letting Guests Take Photos-HELP

So here's the million dollar question: how do you maintain autonomy for the job you've been hired to do, allow guests to get their photo fix at a wedding and not lose sanity in between?

I'm really struggling with this; the last two seasons one of three things happened, someone got angry because I was directing and not allowing for guests to get the photos they wanted, I had no control over the situation and was pushed around or the worst, a few couples lost the opportunity for those fabulous sunset images every Arizona couple wants because I tried to be overly kind to guest photo requests.

What is the line between being too accommodating and not caring at all for the camera phone?

I ask because my fall season is approaching and no matter how many weddings I do I have yet to find that zen spot where everyone walks away happy- which as a people pleaser, is always my ultimate goal.

Some pros have told me to not be worried about guests, you were hired to do a job. One of my closest business associates told me at his kids football practice parents get 3 minutes for photos and then the rest is left to the hired photographer.

How do you make it work, who needs to be involved, will it always be a case by case scenario?

I genuinely want feedback- of all the things we do over the course of a wedding, this is our hang up. I will be the first to admit this is our Achilles heel.

3 comments:

  1. Personally I think it is more than ok for the photographer to be a little pushy about getting photos, but I do also understand that guests want to get their picture too. I would say it would depend upon the bride & groom, ask them ahead of time how they would like the photographer to handle things. Because there is always time for photos for guests later if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing Diana. Give the guests two options(both acceptable to you.)

    Ask them if they would like to have guests given 10 minutes first or have them get their photos during the reception.

    In either choice, make sure THEY reinforce their decision with their own family or enlist two helpers from among their friends and family to assist you in relocating troublesome people.

    Honestly, in your kind and professional way, compare this to someone from the reception strolling into the kitchen where the food is being prepared and insisting on helping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say let the Bride & Groom have their say at the time you're meeting with them before their big day.

    You know the saying "if given an inch, they'll take a mile" and I can just see that if you give the family 10 minutes to get pictures before you; it'd be MORE difficult to cut the family off after only 10 minutes than to just have them wait until you are done.

    Brides and Grooms want to make their families happy but when it boils down to it:

    First, they are paying for professional services and should have their professional pictures

    Second, it's very difficult to get pictures from guests who attended

    Third, and I can say this from experience, when you have the photographer telling the wedding party to pose this way and that then the guests behind her/him also trying to give their input - it's is extremely tiring and frustrating for the Bride & Groom. This will reflect on their faces.

    You can be professional, kind and firm when bringing this sensitive issue up to the couple and a lot of people will appreciate the honesty and concern expressed on their behalf.

    ReplyDelete